A Prince Albert man found guilty of sexually assaulting the teenage son of a co-worker, has received a nine month jail sentence.
Misael Vargas was sentenced Thursday afternoon at Prince Albert Provincial Court. Vargas sat quietly in his chair as his interpreter relayed to him the facts of the case as provided by the judge.
The case dates back to September 2016. Vargas, while intoxicated at his co-worker's house, had snuck into the boy's basement room and performed oral sex on him. Vargas then left $40 under the boy's pillow and told him not to tell anyone what happened. Vargas was found guilty last September.
Judge Hugh Harradence outlined multiple reasons for his sentencing decison including Vargas having no criminal record, two assessments declaring Vargas to be a low risk to re-offend, and Vargas' expression of remorse for his actions.
"The key to rehabilitation will be a better understanding of sexual boundaries and control of his alcohol abuse," Harradence said.
He said other factors in his decision included no physical injuries had been sustained, there was only one incident, and the incident had occurred between two people who were known to each other.
Speaking outside the courthouse, defense lawyer Scott Wolfe said he was happy with the judge's decision.
"I think it was a fair decison. Taking into account all the circumstances before him, and obviously he had a difficult job to do, and I think he did a good job," he said.
After serving his jail sentence, Vargas will also have an 18 month probation period, during which time he must write a written apology to the victim. Vargas will also be a registered sex offender for a period of 20 years.
On Twitter: @princealbertnow
New SGI ad campaign focuses on local tragedy
Just a few months after her passing, a little girl born out of a tragic impaired driving crash is...
READ MORE +
What's Happening NOW for Aug. 13, 2018
News Director Glenn Hicks and Managing Editor Taylor MacPherson discuss the controversial song "We'...
READ MORE +
Three P.A. softball teams geared up for nationals
Three Prince Albert softball teams will be battling it out at nationals this week. The Under-19...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
paNOW is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.