Click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter.

Victim’s family shocked by Sask. killer’s parole date

Apr 21, 2015 | 12:54 PM

The mother of a murdered aboriginal woman said she is hoping justice will prevail after learning a convicted killer will be eligible for day parole in less than six years.

“[It’s] kind of a shock. I don’t want to say too much,” Pauline Muskego said. 

Muskego is the mother of Daleen Bosse. Bosse went missing in 2004. For four years family and friends searched over countless hours. They got the call in 2008 telling them Bosse’s burnt remains had been found in an abandoned dumpsite near Martensville.

“We are all impacted by it, we sure don’t want to be the last to find out,” Muskego said, after hearing of the possibility of Hale’s parole.

“Our family would have to be notified. Our family, all the members, all of those affected have to be aware of what’s going on …  I am speaking to victim’s services and they are going to keep me informed.”

Hales was convicted in December 2014 of second-degree murder for Bosse’s death, along with the crime of offering an indignity to her remains for burning her body. His arrest came after a so-called ‘Mr. Big’ sting. Officers posed as criminals trying to recruit Hales, leading him to confess to them in the belief they could help him cover up the crime. 

Hales was sentenced to life in prison with no parole eligibility for 15 years. He has been behind bars since 2008. His trial was delayed, including several occasions when Hales switched lawyers. The time served prior to his conviction counted toward parole eligibility.

Hales will be able to apply for day parole on Aug. 10, 2020 and will be eligible for full parole in 2023. Although not guaranteed, Muskego said it came as a surprise.

“I will have to quote my husband, he would say ‘You have to let justice prevail’. That’s his hope that everything would go the way it’s supposed to go,” she said.

Hales has filed an appeal of his murder conviction.

– With files from News Talk Radio’s Lasia Kretzel and Bryn Levy

news@panow.com

On Twitter: @princealbertnow