UPDATE: Youths sentenced in Hilliard Sewap killing

By paNOW Staff
February 9, 2018 - 5:00pm Updated: April 25, 2018 - 11:31am

UPDATE: On Feb.23 the two youths, who cannot be named due to their ages, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and were each sentenced to 18 months in custody. Because they are youths, they were to serve 12 months in closed custody and 6 months on community supervision.

In bringing matters to a conclusion, Crown Prosecutor Fran Atkinson told paNOW it had been a long drawn-out process for Sewap’s family and this would allow some closure.

---

The fifth and final adult convicted in the beating death of 17-year-old Hilliard Sewap Jr. in Pelican Narrows almost three years ago has received his sentence.

Marcus Sewap pleaded guilty to manslaughter last year and this week was handed a jail term of three years, less 365 already served, for his role in the gang killing in May 2015.

Marcus Sewap was part of the “Wong-Streeters” who were chasing a rival gang, the “Bronxers” around the community.

During the chase Hilliard Sewap was isolated and beaten to death by at least five people.

The Crown prosecutor said alcohol consumption was a factor in the incident. 

As part of his sentence, Marcus Sewap, who is 21 years old, is banned from possessing firearms for 10 years except for the purpose of sustainable hunting.

Two youths who are still facing charges in connection with the death are awaiting their trials.

 

[email protected]

On Twitter: @princealbertnow

 

Five victims of Broncos bus tragedy remain in hospital: SHA

Join the Discussion

paNOW is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.