Parti Québécois says it won’t hold referendum on sovereignty while Trump is president
MONTREAL — Parti Québécois Leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says he is not delaying his promised referendum by waiting until U.S. President Donald Trump leaves office to put the question to a vote.
He told journalists on Tuesday that his promise remains the same as it was six years ago: to hold a referendum on sovereignty in the PQ’s first mandate, if the party forms government.
“I’m just specifying the timeline,” St-Pierre Plamondon said.
Earlier in the day, he said on social media that he would not hold a referendum until at least 2029. His message comes as Quebec political parties gear up for an election campaign expected to begin before the end of August.


