Click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter.

Frustrations mount over flood plain

May 8, 2015 | 6:46 AM

Prince Albert residents at Thursday’s flood plain meeting at Riverside Community School applauded suggestions that a one-in-100 year flood plain be adopted for the city.

Coun. Don Cody’s reiteration of this call, which he first made at Monday evening’s city council meeting, received support from the residents who attended the second information session. He turned the microphone to face the panel of City and provincial officials representing the ministry of government relations and the Water Security Agency. 

He charged that the risk of the kind of flood that a one-in-500 year flood plain anticipates is “so minute” at two-tenths of one per cent.

“We’re going through all of this for two-tenths of a per cent?” he asked. His question was followed by applause from the audience. His call for the standard to be rescinded also received support in the form of a petition that circulated throughout the gymnasium.

Cody also noted that Saskatchewan is one of the two outliers among provinces with its one-in-500 year flood plain standard. Most other Canadian provinces have adopted the one-in-100 year flood plain, he said. British Columbia is the only other province that differs.

The question of ‘why not a one-in-100 year flood plain standard’ became a leitmotif amongst speakers who posed their questions to the panel.

Prince Albert Northcote MLA Victoria Jurgens, however, addressed residents to explain why the province is using the one-in-500 year standard. Jurgens, who did not attend the first flood plain meeting held in late March, said that in 1978, then-Premier Allan Blakeney’s government adopted it, as set out by the federal government.

“We’re the last of the large communities to adopt that one-in-500. All of the other communities have a plan in place,” she said after the meeting. “So, that’s the rules, and that’s what we’re going to follow.”

When asked how she would respond to residents’ concerns about property values and questions about the flood plain standard used, she said how the City develops its flood mitigation plan, it is up to the City.

“There’s lots of options, that’s what the officials were talking about is lots of options are available. It’s not just we’re going to do it one way and that’s all there is to it. In so far as is practical.”

At the heart of the debate is a requirement in The Statements of Provincial Interest, a body of provincial regulations. The regulations outline what kinds of development can and cannot occur in an area that is included in a one-in-500 year flood plain.

It limits new development from taking place in the floodway – which is the area most prone to flooding and would fall under a one-in-100 year flood plain. In the area outside of the floodway within in the one one-in-500 year flood plain — the flood fringe — there would be special requirements for developers. Among them is one that a structure’s finished floor elevation be built up to a minimum level. 

This issue has come to the forefront now because the City is looking to adopt an Official Community Plan, which must include reference to the flood plain standard outlined in the Statements of Provincial Interest.

City and provincial officials, however, repeatedly described the provincial regulation as “flexible.” That flexibility particularly pertains to how a municipality decides to mitigate flood risks.

“The intent of that is for communities to plan for the one-in-500, but look at the practical ways they can address flood protection for their community and based on the hydrology of their particular situation,” said Ralph Leibel, executive director for the community planning branch of the ministry of government relations.

As for whether the province would accept or reject an Official Community Plan that adopts a one-in-100 year flood plain, Leibel said he cannot guess what the decision of a government or minister would be until the province receives the final Official Community Plan from the City. He said that in the 1970s, Swift Current, Moose Jaw and Regina adopted the one-in-500 year standard.

“And they used the mitigation funds the federal government had available at the time to put in the proper dikes and systems that they use for flood protection.”

Funding for flood mitigation is something NDP candidate for the Prince Albert Northcote constituency, Nicole Rancourt, feels should be addressed by the province. She said she feels for the residents and property owners – some 2,000 properties are in the affected area.

“I think this government, the Sask. Party government, they need to step up, and if they want this regulation to follow through, they need to show the Prince Albert residents how they’re going to support this,” she said.

She said an NDP government would want to ensure that safety is paramount and that the families and their homes would be taken care of.

“And so, sometimes, that means having to contribute financially and making sure that the technical support was there that’s needed.”

Shayne Lazarowich, NDP candidate for the Prince Albert Carlton constituency, also feels that because the flood plain issue originates with the province, the provincial government has to come through for the city. He said the province needs to come through with funds to help mitigate flooding.

And if city council were to try to proceed with the Official Community Plan without recognizing the one-in-500-year flood plain, it would have a hard time proceeding, according to planning and development services director John Guenther.

“Without recognizing it, we’re not going to get provincial adoption,” he said.

Residents dissatisfied with answers given

Allen Furi grew up in Prince Albert’s East Flat. His parents still live there and have for more than four decades. One day, Furi will inherit the home that sits in the flood plain.

On Thursday evening, he was one of a number of residents who stepped up to the microphone to direct their queries to the panel. Furi questioned whether this policy is something being “rammed” down residents’ throats, which he answered himself, saying “yes.”

After the meeting, he expressed his own concerns about the panelists telling the audience that adopting this flood standard would lead to property values increasing and that everything will remain status quo.

Indeed, the flood plain regulations will only apply to new developments and structures constructed. Existing homes won’t be required to flood proof.

“And that’s all fine and dandy,” Furi said after the meeting. “But they have to keep in mind that a lot of the East Flat area are older homes.”

He said if someone wants to build a garage or other structure, they’ll run into all kinds of problems.

Another resident, Merle Moore, raised a host of technical questions when he addressed the panel. After the meeting had ended, he said he didn’t feel his questions were answered very well.

Moore questioned whether the data was being assessed any more, and feels the policy is “into implementation.”

He worked for Water Survey in Prince Albert and said it was involved in flood study work, which he feels him insight into how the one-in-500 year flood data was produced.

“Based on my background, I felt that some of the stuff needed to be questioned a little more thoroughly,” he said.

Moore is also a homeowner in the East Flat. His main concern is about the properties in the East and West Flats that need improvement.

“And I think if people have to invest an extra ten, fifteen thousand, whatever the estimate is going around, in order to improve those properties, they will put their money into somewhere else, either in a different city or somewhere else in the city.”

Speakers also voiced concerns about the effect of the policy on their property values.

Guenther said that where property values are concerned, when people have the facts, they will find out the flooding risk is minimal and it’s easy to mitigate.

“So, I think property values always within a flood area like that … they always increase like the one fellow said right at the end,” he said.

Residents will have another upcoming opportunity to discuss the flood plain. The City will be hosting an Official Community Plan open house in the City Hall Foyer on May 14, from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. The Official Community Plan covers a broader range of topics, including future parks, roads and trails, land use, as well as the flood plain. 

tjames@panow.com

On Twitter: @thiajames