Click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Saskatchewan Marshals Service Insp. Sebastian Andrews, left, of the Battlefords regional headquarters delivers his first presentation to North Battleford city council on Monday, Aug. 17, 2026, at the Don Ross Centre council chamber as local marshal Jonathan Antymniuk looks on. (Image Credit: Kenneth Cheung/battlefordsNOW)
accountability

Saskatchewan Marshals say no tactical purchases committed as new unit faces scrutiny

Aug 20, 2026 | 3:21 PM

The Saskatchewan Marshals Service says it has not committed to buying tactical equipment for a proposed specialized response unit, even as questions remain over what that unit would do – while its first Battlefords report shows the service is already focused on tracking down wanted offenders.

The clarification follows criticism from the Saskatchewan NDP over a proposed Specialized Response Unit, or SRU, and a request for proposal that listed equipment including sniper rifles, ballistic shields, night-vision equipment, multi-shot launchers, hydraulic breaching tools and a Long-Range Acoustic Device.

Hugh Gordon, the NDP’s associate shadow minister for community safety and a retired RCMP officer, has questioned why the province is pursuing plans for a unit that has not yet been established and whose role has not been clearly defined.

“A lot of this equipment, some of it they may need, some of it seems to be justified, but some of the other stuff, like the ballistic helmets, the shields, the sound cannon. A lot of this appears to be like they’re going to be the first people through the door kind of equipment, but they’ve already said they don’t want to do that,” Gordon stated in a press conference last week. 

The Saskatchewan NDP’s Hugh Gordon speaks outside of the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency in Saskatoon on Millar Avenue in Saskatoon on Aug. 17, 2026.
The Saskatchewan NDP’s Hugh Gordon speaks outside of the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency in Saskatoon on Millar Avenue in Saskatoon on Aug. 17, 2026. (Image Credit: Libby Gray/650 CKOM)

The Marshals Service was unable to accommodate an interview with battlefordsNOW but said in a written response that no specific equipment has been selected or committed to for purchase.

The service said the RFP does not bind it to enter into a contract or buy any of the listed items. Instead, the process is being used to gather information about supplier availability, potential costs and delivery timelines.

SMS said its mandate carries an inherent risk that marshals apprehending wanted people could encounter individuals who are violent, armed or otherwise present an increased safety risk.

What remains unclear is what additional operational role the proposed unit would fill.

Asked what the SRU would do that existing RCMP or municipal tactical teams cannot already provide, SMS said the unit is in the “very early stages of development” and no decisions have been made.

The unit is expected to form part of the service’s planned complement of 70 active-duty officers. SMS currently has 27 sworn members across Saskatchewan.

While the future role of the SRU remains under development, the service’s first presentation to North Battleford council Aug. 17 provided a clearer picture of what its officers are doing in the Battlefords.

Inspector Sebastian Andrews of the Battlefords regional headquarters told council high-risk and active warrants are the local team’s priority.

“One of our main concerns that we deal with as the marshals, especially [in] North Battleford, is high-risk and active warrants. That is our priority right now,” Andrews said.

The service’s June report, covering its early operations beginning May 20, recorded 70 arrest attempts and eight arrests.

Andrews told council the numbers have since grown to 316 arrest attempts and 40 arrests, along with 112 condition and curfew checks.

SMS said those arrested were wanted for offences including failing to attend court, failing to comply with court-ordered conditions and other Criminal Code matters. Several were also facing underlying charges involving violent and sexual offences.

The figures come against a much larger outstanding-warrant workload in the Battlefords.

Battlefords RCMP commander Insp. Ryan How said the detachment typically has about 500 arrest warrants in its system at any given time and has generated more than 11,000 files so far in 2026.

Dozens of warrants are executed each week, How said, but more are added as new offences are committed and people fail to appear in court. The detachment has reduced the number of outstanding warrants by 17 per cent over the past year, which he said speaks to increased RCMP staffing.

How said the Marshals Service adds another resource for pursuing people who remain outside the court process.

“The work by the Saskatchewan Marshal Service will definitely contribute to ensuring offenders that are evading police, or have fallen outside the court process, are brought into custody and their matters back before the courts,” How said.

Andrews told council the Marshals Service’s project-based model allows its officers to remain focused on warrant investigations and surveillance while conventional police may have to redirect officers to urgent calls.

He said that work can take considerable time. SMS said several attempts, including checks at different addresses, may be required to locate one person because people wanted on warrants can actively avoid police.

The RCMP remains Saskatchewan’s provincial police service of jurisdiction, while marshals have police authority across the province. Andrews said that allows the Battlefords team to pursue wanted people into surrounding municipalities and First Nations when they move between communities.

The North Battleford operation currently consists of Andrews and four marshals. He told council a sergeant is expected to join the team, with a longer-term goal of building two teams of eight officers.

For now, the local operation has a defined focus on warrants, offender monitoring and supporting existing police. SMS has yet to detail exactly what additional operational role its proposed Specialized Response Unit would fill.

Kenneth.Cheung@pattisonmedia.com