Click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter.
In the last week, the provincial government has put out $650 million of special warrants for spending that wasn’t covered off in the 2025-26 budget. (Image Credit: File photo/CJME)
Provincial budget

Why is Saskatchewan spending $650M more? Gov’t offers explanation

Feb 20, 2026 | 9:40 AM

This week, the provincial government put out special warrants for $650 million in extra spending in the 2025-26 fiscal year, but the Orders in Council didn’t explain why. The government is now offering some explanation for some of the biggest price tags.

The largest chunk of the $650 million is $338 million for the Ministry of Health, $284.8 million of which will go to the Sask. Health Authority (SHA).

According to a statement provided by the government, the increased need for funding can be attributed to an increased demand for health-care services.

“The health sector is currently experiencing higher-than-budgeted utilization levels in several areas. This is resulting in additional expenses for the health care system, including staffing, medications and surgical supplies to ensure patients have access to high-quality care no matter where or when they need it,” read the statement.

The money for the SHA will cover operational pressures from increased use of health care – things like staff pay and higher costs for medical and surgical supplies.

The Saskatchewan Cancer Agency will get another $17 million to pay for higher drug costs and doctors costs from increased use.

Another $10.2 million will go to Canadian Blood Services to pay for higher expenses from higher use as well.

AgriStability by itself was the next highest individual program on the list, with a special warrant for $99.3 million.

The government’s statement said the amount was based on the 2025 winter forecast from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada and, in part, derived from program enhancements for the 2025 program year, as well as continued benefits paid for the 2024 year.

“The special warrant ensures the province is meeting its obligations to cost-share this business risk management programming and strategic investments under the Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership agreement,” said government in the statement.

There was a special warrant issued for an extra $36.4 million for Education, but the vast majority of that will go to central services, which is the operations of the ministry.

The government said the extra funding is related to the settlement agreement over the Île-à-la-Crosse School.

A hearing is expected to be held to get court approval of that settlement at the end of March.

For the province’s coroner’s service, $1.2 million in extra funding is being issued due to operating pressures from an increased volume of investigations, post-mortem examinations and body transportation.

According to the special warrants, the provincial government is also handing over another $29.984 million to the RCMP, mostly related to salary expenses.

The province said the policing agreement the province has with the RCMP doesn’t have a fixed cost – that the RCMP develops each budget each year and sometimes more resources are required.