Click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter.

Final commercial flight operated by Canadian airline departed from Cuba: Anand

Feb 20, 2026 | 8:49 AM

OTTAWA — Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says the final passenger flight operated by Canadian airlines departed from Cuba on Wednesday.

Ottawa, meanwhile, continues to steer clear of criticizing American restrictions on fuel and is delivering no humanitarian aid to the island.

For more than a year, Global Affairs Canada has warned travellers of “shortages of basic necessities, including food, medicine and fuel” across most of Cuba.

The island lost its main source of fuel in January when the United States took control of Venezuela’s oil reserves.

Canadian airlines have suspended flights to the island, citing fuel shortages, while carriers like Air France have added a refuelling stop in nearby countries.

Anand wrote Thursday on social media that nearly 28,000 travellers have made their way back to Canada from Cuba and that some commercial flights operated by international airlines may still be available.

She said Canadians should consider leaving the country “while options are still available.”

Her statement did not reference the American restrictions on fuel shipments to Cuba. U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to impose tariffs on countries that send oil to Cuba and members of his administration have called for an end to Cuba’s communist regime.

The restrictions add to decades of American restrictions on goods and services in Cuba, an embargo that Canada has never replicated. Mexico and Canada have never severed diplomatic ties with Cuba, despite most of Latin America doing so over the course of decades of American pressure.

Mexico has sent navy ships carrying food and personal hygiene items to Cuba. The New Democrats and Bloc Québécois say Canada should do the same.

When asked about this in the House of Commons, Anand would not say whether Canada will speak out against Washington or offer fuel or humanitarian aid. She instead spoke of consular help available to Canadians in Cuba.

Last week, when asked by Radio-Canada about his government’s silence on Cuba, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc insisted Canada has an independent foreign policy. He rejected the suggestion his government is not sending aid to avoid upsetting Washington.

“We are ready as a government to support humanitarian aid efforts,” he said in French during a Feb. 13 appearance on radio show Midi-Info, adding that he’d discuss aid to Cuba with colleagues in Mexico during his visit to that country.

“The idea we won’t be there to support the humanitarian needs of the Cuban population isn’t true and my colleagues will have more specific things to share in the coming hours or days.”

A week later, Canada has not announced any humanitarian aid for Cuba.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 20, 2026.

Alessia Passafiume and Dylan Robertson, The Canadian Press