Featured in Ripley's Believe It or Not!
Eccentric Eating Habits
Celebrities are people too, which is why we are often so fascinated with their everyday actions. Sometimes, hearing about a celebrity’s strange mannerisms or exploits can even make us feel closer to them—and that includes the kinds of meals and snacks they like. But when you hear about some of the weirdest celebrity eating habits of all time, you’ll really think differently about some of your favorite famous faces.
Strange Snacks of the Stars
- Marilyn Monroe used to eat two raw eggs whipped with warm milk for breakfast. When she was asked about it, she said other people thought her eating habits were weird, but she didn’t agree. “I doubt any doctor could recommend a more nourishing breakfast for a working girl in a hurry,” she said.
- Steve Jobs loved apples and carrots so much that, for certain periods of his life, they were all he ate. Doing this turned him vaguely orange on occasion.
- A former aide of Hillary Clinton’s once said she ate jalapenos “like potato chips” while she was on the campaign trail in 2008.
- Scott Foley of Scandal and True Blood spreads peanut butter on his scrambled eggs. He states it’s a family tradition, and in a video from his Instagram, you can see him and his son enjoying it together.
Eating Everything… and Nothing
- Charles Darwin often taste-tested the animals he collected and reportedly tried armadillo, rheas—which is a bird similar to an ostrich—and iguana.
- In order to keep her trim figure, Joan Crawford subsisted on extremely minimalistic meals. She was once reported to eat a luncheon of nothing but a few spoonfuls of consommé, a small bowl of rhubarb, and crackers spread liberally with mustard.
- Due to having many allergies as a child, Ringo Starr has never eaten pizza.
You Eat WHAT to Stay Healthy?
- Catherine Zeta-Jones likes to eat an apple after a meal, not really for sustenance but because it supposedly cleans her teeth. She says strawberries and pineapples also do the trick due to the citric acid found in these fruits.
- Chrissy Teigen has admitted to satisfying a Doritos craving by licking the nacho seasoning off without actually eating the chips themselves. “You still get all the flavor, not all the carbs!” She says she puts them back in the bag afterward… in order to throw them away—we hope.
- In addition to a number of other odd beauty hacks performed by Shailene Woodley, the actress regularly eats clay, which is a tip she says she picked up from a cab driver. “Clay is great for you because your body doesn’t absorb it,” she says. Although, one must make sure one’s clay is sourced properly since a friend of Woodley’s found practicing the habit made her excrement smell metallic.
- Lyoto Machida is an MMA fighter who believes in the benefits of drinking his own urine. He says his father was the one who introduced him to this regimen and that it makes him feel healthier because it boosts his immune system. Morarji Desai, a former Prime Minister of India, also believed in urine therapy. (This is NOT doctor recommended, however.)
It’s Not All Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams
Whether it’s a snack of peanut butter and scrambled eggs or the tendency to make one’s lunch out of nothing but crackers and mustard, celebrities eat some pretty weird things. You can choose to believe it—or not—but as far as strange food goes, we’ve eaten plenty of odd meals in our time too!
By Julia Tilford, contributor for Ripleys.com.