Family recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning at Candle Lake

By Tyler Marr
May 21, 2018 - 8:48am

People are reminded to check their chimney before lighting their fireplace or furnace at a cabin or camper this summer after a family of five suffered carbon monoxide poisoning this weekend.

Parkland Ambulance was called to Candle Lake Saturday to treat a family of five. The family had lit their furnace for the first time this season but didn't remove the winter covers from the vents on their trailer.

All five, which included a six-month-old, three-year-old, six-year-old and two parents in their thirties, were showing signs of poisoning, which includes vomiting, headache and lethargy.

The ambulance service said the symptoms of CO poisoning are flu-like, but many people will be experiencing them at once.

During the winter, many people will cover the chimney, but small animals or birds may get in and build a nest, which blocks the vent. Without proper ventilation, dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can build up.

People are also advised to ensure they have working smoke and CO detectors in their homes, cabins and trailers.  If the detector goes off, people should open windows and doors to allow in fresh air, and get everyone, including pets, out. Local authorities can be later be called to test air quality.

 

[email protected]

On Twitter: @princealbertnow

 

He's good folk: Canadian icon takes stage for Grey Owl Centre anniversary

Join the Discussion

paNOW is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.