Former volleyball player pleads guilty to sexual assault

By Leah Murray
May 16, 2018 - 11:52am

A volleyball player who competed for the Carlton Crusaders and University of Saskatchewan Huskies has pleaded guilty to sexual assault.

Matthew Alan Meyer appeared in Court of Queen's Bench in Medicine Hat on Monday.

A joint sentencing submission was made by the crown and defence requesting Meyer serve two years in prison followed by three years of probation. The judge agreed to the recommendation.

Charges were laid on January 17, 2016, after Medicine Hat Police were called to the college, where Meyer played for the Rattlers after leaving Saskatchewan.

The incident occurred at a house party on the College grounds that began Saturday, January 16. The victim attended the party with a friend and were acquainted with Meyer.

After a night of drinking, the victim’s friend put her to bed on a couch in the living room.

According to an agreed statement of facts, around 6:30 A.M. on January 17th, the victim woke up to Meyer touching her.

She could hear the camera function and see the flash on his phone as he took multiple photos. The touching escalated to sexual assault and the victim pretended to be sleeping out of fear.

The police investigation determined a second assault had taken place earlier that morning while the victim was unconscious. In total police found 147 pictures of the victim on Meyer’s phone. According to the police investigation none of the images were shared.

Meyer, who was 18 years old at the time, was charged with sexual assault and sharing intimate images of another person without their consent, that charge was changed to voyeurism.

At the hearing Monday morning, the crown and defence submitted a joint statement of facts. The victim, who can’t be named, asked for it not to be read aloud. The Judge consented.

During the hearing the victim did read her own victim impact statement.

In it, she said she is still traumatized by what happened that night. She went on to say the assault led to her developing severe depression and trying to take her own life.

“Your actions nearly cost me my life,” she said to Meyers in her statement. “I don’t owe you anything to express the hurt you put me through.”

"I am here today to open the eyes of this horrific subject to those who are too naive to understand the severity," she concluded.

Meyer also made a statement to the court during the sentencing procedure.

“I know my words don’t mean anything to [the victim] and her family,” he said. “But, I truly am sorry.”

Meyer is prohibited from having any contact with the victim. He will also be required to take courses on the prevention of sexual violence.

Meyer was taken into custody following the sentencing, he had been out on bail living with family in Saskatchewan.

Local youth perform at Riverside Aboriginal Arts Festival

Join the Discussion

paNOW is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.