Prince Albert murder case may go to Supreme Court

By Nigel Maxwell
September 30, 2015 - 5:48pm

The man convicted in the brutal 2011 assault and murder of Margaret Sewap will remain behind bars, but the case is far from over.

The Saskatchewan Court of Appeal has dismissed John Thomas Shaoulle’s sentence appeal, but there was not a clear majority, meaning the appeal could move to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Sewap's naked body was found April 8, 2011, in Prince Albert, behind the Bolt Supply House on 17th St. E.

Her body had been partially burned and the investigation later determined she had been sexually assaulted and strangled to death. 

Shaoulle received a sentence of life imprisonment and was told he would not be eligible for parole for 25 years.

Shaoulle appealed the decision, suggesting the verdict did not support the evidence. 

Saskatchewan's Court of Appeal was divided on the case.

Two judges agreed with the trial judge's decision, while a third judge said he would have acquitted Shaoulle. He based this on several factors including circumstantial evidence, Shaoulle not being asked to testify and lack of a clear motive.

The decision leaves the door open for Shaoulle to take his appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Shaoulle's lawyer Brian Pfefferle told paNOW he has not yet talked to his client but does expect the appeal to move to Canada's highest court.

 

[email protected]

Follow on Twitter: @nigelmaxwell

“Big Dig” changing its way

Join the Discussion

paNOW is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.