With a significant portion of the House of Hope’s construction complete, the fundraising campaign for the building’s finishing touches has re-launched.
The Future Hope Capital Campaign is the second phase of fundraising for the new shelter in Melfort. The goal of this phase is to raise $1.2 million, which will be used to complete the basement, counselling rooms, children’s recreation rooms and small items storage. They also plan to develop a five-port storage facility outside of the building. As well, the present North East Outreach Support Services (NEOSS) building will be developed into two suites for long-term stays.
The campaign started in October, but was in a “quiet” stage because of the fire, but was restarted in recent months, Barbara Baxter, capital campaign chair said.
“Basically with the money coming in from Phase 2, that would be allowing the building to be completed totally, and that is the hope of the North East Outreach Support Services, that they can have the full services completed and then be able to open the doors to provide services to women and children of the northeast.”
When it comes to campaign asks, Baxter said they have been approaching individuals, but money has also been coming in from the rural municipalities and throughout the northeast. Additionally, donations can be made online through the NEOSS website.
The campaign’s also reaching out to companies in the northeast for donations and is also looking at foundation money.
But they’ve also been helped by “third-party events” held in May. These have included concerts by Constant Reminder and Adam and Eve.
“So, people are just trying to create events, they could be big or small,” Baxter said.
She’s pleased with the amount of community support for the shelter’s campaign. She said they’ve been receiving a lot of support from three major areas: Tisdale, Melfort and Nipawin.
“We’re looking forward to more support coming from all communities throughout the northeast,” Baxter said.
The shelter’s construction was about 70 per cent complete when an accidental fire destroyed the structure last year.
Once it is complete, it will be able to accommodate 16 people initially, and in the future, the shelter could be able to work with up to 30 people, Baxter said.
NEOSS is looking to have the shelter complete and opened by next February.
On Twitter: @thiajames
Concerns flagged over SaskPower’s maintenance, data records
According to the provincial auditor’s latest report, SaskPower is taking care of its most...
READ MORE +
It's the giving time of year
Students from a variety of programs participated in a day of giving in Prince Albert on Dec. 12....
READ MORE +
Is the fuss about a 1940s Christmas hit song justified?
For some it’s just innocent Christmas time fun, but for others it’s an insensitive throwback that...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
paNOW is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.