A 13-year issue plaguing Midtown that has brought rodents, crime and decreased property values has found its remedy.
Residents have called the garbage bin situation in the neighbourhood “out of control” and a “disgusting headache."
At a mid-October council meeting, countless letters and photos of overflowing, burning or knocked over bins centred heavily in the Midtown neighbourhood were presented to council and branded as a “real problem” on the streets. The letters read how residents have reached out countless times requesting help from the city to little or no avail.
Council was asked to approve new bins for the Midtown area and bring forward a report about bin conversion for the remainder of the city. However, the approval came with heavy debate, once again.
Coun. Ted Zurakowski said he encountered various residents who were not okay with wheelie bins and wanted to keep communal bins instead.
“What is the trepidation involved with hearing from the people and the neighbours… with the petition process?” he asked.
Coun. Blake Edwards asked why the city could not at least ask residents where they want the bins — front or back.
"If this is what it takes to get the small bins, put them in the back lane. We have alleyways there for a purpose… they are going down the back lanes right now,” he said. “There are a ton of cars there, I think [the front] is going to be more tricky.”
Administrators said having a mix of both would cause major headaches for sanitation workers and upset route times. They were also concerned using the back alleys for pickup could further damage the lanes.
Mayor Greg Dionne said the sanitation department had the tools to fix and maintain back lanes. Though he did not want to "add more mud to the pile" seconded councillor Edwards' proposal.
It was settled that the city will consult with residents on where they want the bins on blocks where it is feasible.
Around 70 per cent of all residential properties in Prince Albert currently have the individual curbside bins, according to agenda documents. The remaining 30 per cent, or 2,500 communal bins, are in the works to be converted over the next five years. A citywide implementation would run just over $44,000 per year.
On Twitter: @JournoMarr
Raider alum Viveiros joins Oilers staff
Prince Albert Raider legend Manny Viveiros has been hired as an assistant coach with the Edmonton...
READ MORE +
Attempted murder charge stayed after witnesses refuse to testify
The trial for a man accused of attempted murder after an alleged shooting in downtown Prince Albert...
READ MORE +
Woman considers arming herself after Debden break and enter
A Debden woman whose husband chased after suspects and was then shot at in the early hours of...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
paNOW is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.