Stanley case will go to trial

By Angela Brown
April 6, 2017 - 2:26pm

Biggar-area farmer Gerald Stanley will face trial for his second-degree murder charge, a judge decided today April 6 after a three-day preliminary inquiry. 

Stanley was charged after 22-year-old Colten Boushie died from a gunshot wound on his property during an incident on Aug. 9, 2016.

Crown prosecutor William Burge said the trial will likely take place this fall. 

Concerns heard inside and outside the courthouse

While no details of the hearing can be made public due to a court-ordered ban, concerns were heard outside the courthouse where peaceful rallies took place amid heightened security. Many have expressed unease about racial tensions in the community and across the province.

Outside of court, Boushie's brother said he was satisfied with the hearing's outcome and is hoping for a fair trial. 

"I want [Colten] to be remembered as a person of his community," William Boushie said. "If there is anything to be stated about racism — it's there. It is alive."

Earlier this morning, several First Nation leaders and family members spoke of similar concerns, particularly surrounding comments made on social media sites.

The RCMP said investigators are now looking into comments made on social networks and determining whether they meet the elements of hate speech offences.

None of the allegations against Stanley have been proven in court.

 

[email protected]

Editor's Note: Commenting on this story is closed as the matter is before the courts.

Blue lights coming to Sask. tow trucks

Join the Discussion

paNOW is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.